Tuesday 11 June 2013

Bharatanatyam World

So today I just wanted to take a moment to get the word out about bharatanatyamworld.com...

For all of us non-resident Indians, (and non-Indians) finding somewhere to purchase dance costumes, accessories etc. is a nightmare. In short, you cannot get it them the UK, trust me I've tried! You can find the jewllery sets here, but they can reach up to £200, which I am informed is more expensive than real temple jewellery in India. But I have found a solution! Having no family in India, making a quick phone call to my aunty's son's wife's sister in Chennai wasn't an option, so I scoured the web and came across Bharatanatyam World

I have used this site myself, so yes they are real and yes they are a very good option. I ordered a tailor made costume, full mens' jewellery and ghungroo. All for £120 including p&p. I think if you can make it to India then do that, but this site allows you to make up your own sets for Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi jewellery and they will cater to your every need. Traditionally men perform shirtless in Bharatanatyam, but not being a John Abraham (Bollywood hunk, worth looking up.) I didn't want to do that so they made me a custom-made top and a scarf too at very little extra cost. 

The only thing I would say is that with the jewellery the strings break easily, but at such low prices, it's totally worth learning to use a needle and thread. Also if your ankles aren't the size of barbie's then you may need to punch an extra hole in the ghungroo buckle, but that is easily done! 

They cater for Bharatanatyam, Kuchipudi, Odissi, Mohiniyattam, Kathak and Bhangra dancers (yes Bhangra is actually a dance form, not just what your Punjabi uncle did at your uncle's sister's wedding last friday.) They also sell a fantastic selection of dance related products (CDs, DVDs etc.)

Here are some pictures of my purchases...










Jewellery photo credit: Ben Willoughby

So go check out bharatanatyamworld.com !



No comments:

Post a Comment