Sunday 16 June 2013

Le Beignet.

Hello all you wonderful dancers! Today I'm doing a quick post requested by a very good blogger/dancer friend of mine. She is the author of the wonderful food blog Uk, Rasoi and Me... so go check out her blog, personally I think the mango choco cake looks amazing!

Also a quick note about the title of this post, it means "doughnut" in French. If you're on a beach in the South of France during summer, you can often hear the "beignet man", who is basically a guy with a tray of doughnuts attached to him and he walks all the way along the beach shouting "BEIGNET! BEIGNET!". In other words you should all go learn French and you'll understand half the things I say better ;)

Why on earth am I writing a post called the doughnut? Well the quick thinkers among you may remember that I posted this blog Doughnuts and Brooches a little while ago and I mentioned that I might do a blog on using a hair doughnut. This is that blog.

So actually I'm not going to post step by step pictures because I don't think that'll help, instead I'm going to post a link to my favourite YouTube videos showing you how to do it.

The first thing you need to know is that there are two methods of doing this and the first method I find works better on thin, shorter hair and is often more secure for dance, whereas the second is better on long hair and would perhaps require a few more pins if dancing. Which brings me to my next point; what you need. Doughnuts as I've mentioned before can be bought anywhere, Primark is the best if you're only looking to spend £1, they come in colours suitable to black, blonde and brunette hair, and in various sizes. If you want the full range of sizes then go to Claire's. Secondly you will need hairpins and I cannot stress enough how much easier it will be if you have bun pins rather than regular hairpins, I am going to Southall on Wednesday to find some bun pins so I'll be able to tell you all about buying them there. These are bun pins in case you weren't sure...

Photo credit: unknown, sorry!

If you want to make your own doughnut then it's really easy; get an old sock and cut off the toe and roll it up, or get an old pair of winter tights and cut off the top and toes so your left with two toe-less legs and then roll them up, that way you get two doughnuts. For a thicker bun use the sleeve of an old knitted jumper.

You can see in this picture on the left a shop-bought bun (£1 from Primark) and on the right a home-made one from a pair of kids' winter tights. 


Here are four videos that I think are good examples, they're easy enough to follow:

How To Make A Perfect Ballet Bun - The first method. I like this video because they use a hairnet in place of pins which is actually a very good idea!
How to do a sock bun on knee length hair - a rather ingenious way of using the doughnut on knee length hair
How to do a simple hair doughnut. - The second method of using the doughnut, it makes a bigger bun but it requires a lot of pins.
How to: Perfect Low Bun - this is a similar method used in the first video but it is in my opinion less secure for dance and takes more time.

This doughnut bun is perfect for Indian classical dance; if you're a Kathak dancer then this is a great alternative to the traditional plait, for Bharatanatyam dancers this is perfect for the bun at the top of your head and it ensures that the flowers can be seen from the front. For Kuchipudi this could easily be used but for a traditional Kuchipudi hairstyle you'll need Kuchipudi supplies. This is of course THE thing for Odissi dancers although I would suggest buying a bigger doughnut for Odissi. For Mohiniyattam again this could be used to great effect. 

So I hope this helped!

No comments:

Post a Comment