Friday 19 July 2013

School's out pour l'été! (The Weekly Grind: BN)

Hello! Yes I am still alive!
So it's been ages since I last posted, and I have to say I have absolutely no excuse for that, whoops! Today I bring you an unbelievably late Weekly Grind: Bharatanatyam.

A few weeks ago (not-so-weekly grind it would seem...) my Bharatanatyam class broke up for the Summer, which is always a bit daunting I feel because it often means around 6 weeks without regular classes, argh! We went through the Mallari mainly because my Guru doesn't want us to forget it over the summer, and I have to announce to you all that me and the Mallari are no longer friends :( Having done it about three times in a row in that last lesson, it killed me :( I have an awful lot of work to do before it's perfect! We also started a Keertanam, oh Lord, I have no idea how I'll remember that come the first class back!

So let's have a look back at my Bharatanatyam story so far. I started Bharatanatyam in Autumn 2011 some time. It was something I'd wanted to do for years and so it was really a bit like a dream come true. Then in March 2013 (I think) I took my Grade 1 Bharatanatyam exam with ISTD and passed with a distinction! Wooo! Then we get to now, almost two years down the line, about six dance items, an exam and a permanent place in my heart and life for Bharatanatyam.

I shall soon be leaving my weekly Bharatanatyam class in a small rented room, hidden by a huge community centre and down a set of concrete steps, to continue my training elsewhere. It has to be said that these classes have taught me so much, not only adavus but also aspects of myself. Bharatanatyam after all is so very much more than simply a dance form. It is a philosophy, an art, a way of life, it is a way of discovering a whole new level of ourselves.

I shall apologise now if this entry isn't up to scratch, but hey, I'm tired! ;)

Happy Dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment