Wednesday 31 July 2013

The Guide to Dance Hair for Non-Black Hair - Part I

Hello all!
Welcome to my guide to dance hair for non-black hair because let's face it, most accessories available for dance hair are designed for black, Indian hair. So this is a guide to give all of you dancers out there with hair that isn't black some ideas and inspiration...

This is the hair I was working with, lovely isn't it?

So this first style is common to both Bharatanatyam and Kathak, the basic idea is also the base of Odissi dance hair. It's a bun using a doughnut, do check out my Le Beignet. post about using a hair doughnut. If you add more flowers and a rakodi this is a Bharatanatyam look, and if you add fewer flowers and leave out the rakodi you have an elegant Kathak style. 

I started with a ponytail, simple enough. Just remember that the height of the ponytail is how high the bun will be. If you have a fringe, this would be the time to pin, clip or gel it out of the way. 

Then I pulled the ponytail through the doughnut, wrapped the hair around the doughnut to cover it and then put a hair band around the newly-formed bun. 

I then wrapped the remaining hair around the bun, and secured with a crazy amount of bun pins. I put a hair net around this but it isn't strictly necessary.




This is the final product, it is a bit wonky I know. As I said before, if you use fewer flowers and leave out the rakodi then this style works fine for Kathak. In the photos above it's more suited to Bharatanatyam. The fringe can of course be far more efficiently dealt with. 

Stay tuned for part II !




No comments:

Post a Comment