Tuesday 2 July 2013

The Weekly Grind: BN

Namaste all!


I'm really not very good at posting these Weekly Grinds! Anywho here are some more of my thoughts from Bharatanatyam class =]

One thing is becoming more and more evident to me these days; one has to dance for oneself and for God. What I mean is (and I'm sure I won't be the first one to say this) in class it is so often the norm to have a giggle with friends, see what your friends are doing to see if you're doing the right thing, which is all fine, however, there is a time and a place I've started to realise.


When we go through pieces in class I think the only way I can really concentrate on what I'm doing is to not see what is around me, but rather to imagine myself in a white room with nothing but the sound of the music and my stamping. When I look at other people I sometimes get things wrong because they did or I find myself feeling disconnected from the dance which isn't the point of Bharatanatyam. Bharatanatyam for me should be a spiritual connection with oneself. As Bharatanatyam dancers we are encouraged to reflect on our own position in the world, on how we as spiritual beings find our way on the path that is life. So if we go through the Alarippu in class for example, I have come to realise that unless I devote myself to the piece, to each and every "tam dhi tam tai" then I don't fully understand or enjoy the essence of Alarippu. 


I believe that Indian classical dance is not only way of truly being all that we are as humans but also all that we are as spiritual beings. When we dress up for dance performances we transform into the brides and grooms of God. Spirituality and dance are so closely interwoven and I think it's important that this spirituality is present even in class. 


Mallari. My biggest enemy and dearest love. We have finally finished the whole piece! However come next lesson I'll have forgotten half of it no doubt. The Mallari for me is just the definition of Nritta in Bharatnatyam. From slow to fast and then back to slow, the mesmerising syllables and subtle beauty of the human body, I adore it and yet I struggle to dance it. I simply don't have the stamina, but as they say practice makes perfect! So alas, I must practice more. Having watched many different variations of Mallari, I am perhaps very one-sided in thinking that our Mallari is one of the most beautiful. I shall hopefully be going elsewhere to study Bharatanatyam soon so I'm glad I've had the opportunity to learn this version from my Guru before I go anywhere.


Until next time!

Happy Dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment